Do you have difficulty in digesting certain foods or are you allergic to a particular food? Food Intolerance and Food allergy are both types of ‘food sensitivity’ and both can make one feel very ill. Quite often, it is difficult to determine whether the patient has a food intolerance or an allergy because the signs and symptoms often overlap. Also, onset can occur quickly or only several hours after ingesting the offending food or compound and can persist for days.
Food intolerance is an adverse reaction to a particular food. The symptoms can be unpleasant and in some cases, severe but are generally not life-threatening. Non-allergic food hypersensitivity is the medical name for food intolerance, loosely referred to as food hypersensitivity.
Food intolerance are often limited to the digestive system, usually mediated by IgG antibodies, as there is a problem digesting the food. It is more chronic, less acute, less obvious in its presentation, and often more difficult to diagnose than a food allergy. Symptoms of food intolerance vary greatly and can be mistaken for the symptoms of a food allergy. It can be difficult to determine the offending food causing food intolerance because the response generally takes place over a prolonged period of time.
The precise distinction between food intolerance and a food allergy is often missed. A true food allergy requires the presence of fast-acting immunoglobulin IgE antibodies against the food. If someone has a food allergy, this means his/her immune system reacts to a particular food. This causes immediate symptoms such as itchiness, rashes and swelling. Sometimes this reaction can be so severe that it can cause a life-threatening reaction known as anaphylaxis.
Thus the causative agent and the response are separated in time, and may not be obviously related.
Symptoms of Food Intolerance
Symptoms reported include:
- RESPIRATORY SYMPTOMS – Coughing, sneezing, runny nose, nasal congestion, wheezing, asthma, ear infections, snoring, sleep apnea, pneumonia, bronchitis
- NEURAL SYMPTOMS – Poor coordination, clumsiness, headache, migraine, depression, memory problems, learning or cognitive difficulties, dementia
- IMMUNE SYSTEM SYMPTOMS – catching colds and infections easily, urinary tract infections, mouth ulcers, recurring yeast (Candida) fungal infections like thrush, tinea, ringworm etc., long recovery from viruses, long healing period for sores
- SKIN, HAIR AND NAILS – Eczema, dry flaky skin, psoriasis, dermatitis, hives, rosacea, rashes, hair loss, split and cracked nails, poor complexion, dandruff
- METABOLISM PROBLEM – Mood swings, overweight, underweight, obesity, chills, thyroid disease, cravings, addictions
- MUSCULOSKELETAL SYMPTOM – Back and neck problems, stiff muscles or joints, tendonitis, arthritis, bone fractures
- MALABSORPTION – Extreme tiredness and lack of energy, difficulty concentrating, vitamin deficiencies, iron deficiency, anaemia, calcium deficiency, bone thinning, osteoporosis
- GASTROINTESTINAL CONDITIONS – Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), diarrhea, constipation, excessive flatulence, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), chronic indigestion, gastro-esophageal reflux (GERD), stomach ulcers, bowel polyps or bowel cancer
- GENITAL AND REPRODUCTIVE CONDITIONS – Infertility, difficulty conceiving, miscarriage, stillbirth, impotence
Common types of Food Intolerance
Common types include Gluten Intolerance, Dairy Sensitivity, Fructose Sensitivity and Yeast Sensitivity. Also certain medical conditions cause food intolerance which include Lactose Intolerance, Salicylates Intolerance, Glutamate Intolerance, Wheat Intolerance (Celiac Disease), Amines Intolerance, Food Additives Intolerance and Egg Intolerance.
First Response Healthcare provides home sample collection service to test for your specific intolerance with a Food Intolerance Test or food allergy and develop an action plan to overcome them!
We test your blood for IgG allergens for over 200 foods – through a Food Intolerance blood test and thus we are able to determine the foods you must avoid. Our doctors can help you to assess your unique situation and create a tailored plan to improve your health.
This test measures IgG responses to 200+ foods which includes diary, vegetarian, non-vegetarian, spices, nuts etc. It is the most comprehensive list of food that will be helpful for the people who assume that they have intolerance against a number of foods.
Contact Information: Call us to make an Appointment at 0505050 387
Time for appointments: Anytime 365 days a year we can give you an appointment for home sample collection as per our convenience
Areas our service covers: Entire Emirate of Dubai
Where all our team can visit you in Dubai: Home, Hotel or Office
Questions? Read here our compiled answers to some of the most frequently asked questions.
You’ll be glad to know that our home sample collection service is available on weekends and public holidays.