Children tend to fall ill very often due to cough and cold. This is because there are numerous kinds of different cold viruses and young children do not have the immunity to fight the same. At this point having a pediatrician on call can be quite fruitful. As children grow older, they do not fall ill quite often as their immunity increases. Generally, a cold lasts about 5-7 days, but in infants, this can take up to 2 weeks. As a parent, you do not need to worry too much when your child is having a cold. However, having a cold, cough, or ear infection can make children irritable, uncomfortable, and cranky and this can add to the family’s stress. In such a case, it can be very useful to help children feel better by using home remedies for infant cough, cold, and ear infections. There exist various home remedies for cold in infants and home remedies for ear infection in infants as well.
Here are some simple but important suggestions & home remedies for cold in infants that can come very handy when your child is sick:
- Give plenty of fluids to your child in the form of water, soups, broth, etc.
- You can use saline nose drops to help loosen dried snot and relieve a stuffy nose. This can help the infant feel more at ease while breathing and can also help the infant to sleep well at night.
- Make sure that your child and all the other family members are washing their hands regularly. This can stop the cold from spreading to other people in the household.
- In case your child has a high temperature, consult a pediatrician and give your child paracetamol or ibuprofen.
- It is also important to remember that it is not advisable to give over-the-counter cough and cold remedies like decongestants to children under the age of 6 without consulting a doctor or pediatrician.
Cough In Infants
Children tend to cough when they have a cold because of the mucus at the back of their throats. If your child has a cough but he/she is eating, drinking, and breathing normally without any wheezing then there’s not much to worry about. However, to clear out the phlegm from the chest or mucus from the back of the throat, you can use the following home remedies for infant cough:
- If your child is above the age of 1 year, you can give him/her warm water with lemon and honey. All you need to do is squeeze half a lemon into a mug of hot water and add 1 to 2 teaspoons of honey to it. Ensure that your child drinks this water while it’s still warm.
- Giving your child warm fluids such as warm milk, soups, and broths can also help loosen up mucus and soothe a sore throat.
- You can also consider buying and using a humidifier in your home. Putting a cool-mist humidifier in your child’s room where they sleep can ease their breathing.
- Lots of sleep and rest can do wonders for your child. Make sure that your child is sleeping and resting well, and it can prove to be one of the most effective home remedies for infant cough.
You should take your child to your pediatrician or book a pediatrician on call for home visit if:
- You notice that your child’s cough has lasted for longer than 3 weeks
- Your child has high fever and is feeling hot or shivery
- Your child is having difficulty breathing
Ear Infections in Infants
Ear infections are also very common among babies and children. Ear infections are generally followed by a cold or a fever. Some of the symptoms of ear infection in children include high temperature, irritability, crying, difficulty eating or feeling, restlessness at night, and a cough. Sometimes there may also arise a need to put up a doctor consultation.
Here are some home remedies for ear infection in infants:
- If your child has an earache, you can give him or her paracetamol or ibuprofen. Do not give paracetamol and ibuprofen at the same time without consulting a pediatrician.
- Make sure to not put any oil, ear drops or cotton buds into your child’s ear without asking the doctor.
- Make sure that your child stays hydrated. Swallowing can help open the eustachian tube, which can drain the trapped fluid, which is why frequent consumption of liquids is so important.
- To help reduce the pain, you can place a warm, moist compress over your child’s ear for about 10 to 15 minutes.
The ear infection usually clears up in 3 days, but if you see your child feeling unwell and uncomfortable even after that and after trying these home remedies for ear infection in infants, or you notice any ear discharge you should consult a pediatrician for the same.
Pediatrician At Home In Dubai | First Response Healthcare
If you need to consult a pediatrician regarding your child’s cough, cold, or ear infection, you can do it through First Response Healthcare (FRH) from the comfort of your home. FRH is one of the leading home healthcare companies in Dubai that offers the services of a Pediatrician On Call 24*7 – 365 days a year. By calling a doctor at home, instead of going to the hospital or clinic for a check-up, you can avoid the risk of your child catching infections. Our pediatricians and team of medical professionals can offer their services even on weekends and public holidays and they can come to your home, hotel, or office location.
FRH’s team of pediatricians, doctors, and nurses are DHA licensed, highly qualified, and internationally trained. FRH has also received the Gold Seal of Approval from Joint Commission International Standards for Home Healthcare. Our pediatric doctors can help with diagnosis and treatment for a range of medical conditions and difficulties including colds, coughs, and ear infections. Along with this, our team of pediatricians can also offer services of a routine health checkup for your child. We can also come to your home to collect samples of your child’s blood, urine or stools for diagnostic tests. Once you book an appointment with us, we will make sure to reach you within 30 minutes. We can come to you anywhere within the Emirate of Dubai.
To book an appointment with a pediatrician at home, all you need to do is call 0505050387 or 800DIALDOC. You can also book an appointment online by visiting https://firstresponse.ae/
Also Read: Newborn Baby Care at Home in Dubai